Born in Turin, Italy, in 1961, Paolo Torchio came to Kenya in 1990. A keen photographer since childhood, he was immediately captivated by the African wildlife and wilderness areas that he encountered, and quickly made the country his home. He has lived and worked in Kenya ever since.
In this time, Paolo has travelled widely in Kenya, and – increasingly of late – in other parts of Africa as well, including Madagascar. His photography aside, he has played an active role in various wildlife conservation projects in Kenya, often in association with the Kenya Wildlife Service.
His photographs and articles documenting aspects of the region’s animal, bird and insect life have appeared regularly in Swara, the quarterly magazine of the East African Wild Life Society (EAWLS), where they are seen all over the world. Since 2005, Paolo has served on the Swara Editorial Committee, in which capacity he has completed various photographic and reporting assignments exclusively for Swara.
Paolo’s work has appeared in a host of other Kenyan wildlife and travel magazines, including Travel News, Kenya Birding, and About Kenya, as well as in some illustrious wildlife magazines elsewhere in the world, such as Oasis, in his native Italy, and BBC Wildlife Magazine.
- Service area: Nairobi (based), Throughout Kenya
- Service language: English, Italian
- Specialized in: Photography guiding
- View email address
- +254 722 527 726
- In 2006 he was declared Overall Winner of the East African Photographer of the Year Award
- The East African Wild Life Society’s 2007, 2010 and 2011 Calendars featured his work exclusively
- A grand jury in Tokyo, Japan, has selected one of his photographs from 43,000 entries, for inclusion in the prestigious Nikon Calendar for 2009
- One of his photograph taken in Lewa Conservancy was selected for inclusion in the BBC Wildlife Calendar 2010, and the same photo has been awarded with the third price in the Italian Wildlife Championship 2009, mammals category
- The serie of photos of six playful cheetah’s cubs, taken in maasai Mara National Reserve, has been the winner of the portfolio category of the “Oasis” Italian Wildlife Photocompetition 2010.
- Overall Winner of the National Photographic Competition 2011, of Civitella Alfedena, Italy
- Highly Honored Winner in the Nature’s Best Photography Awards 2012, African Wildlife Category
- Second Price in the Oasis Wildlife Photo Contest 2012, Mammals Category, Onorable Mention in 2015, 2016, 2017
- Winner of the OASIS MAGAZINE AWARD 2018
- He works at the moment as official photographer for IFAW Kenya.